Recipe: Grilled Yellow Fin Tuna
Grilled yellow fin tuna, also known as Ahi tuna, is a simple, yet superb fish for the grill. Here’s a recipe on fresh yellow fin tuna served with white miso and radish by Executive Chef Nikolaj Retpen of W Retreat & Spa – Maldives. Serve this as a stand-alone dish, or as part of a three-course meal at your next dinner and have your guests singing your praises.
120g yellow fin tuna
10g fresh ginger cut in long thin strips
1 big red chilli cut in long thin strips
1/2 cucumber peel in strips
1 red beetroot cut in slice
1 radish peel in strips
5g white miso paste
1 spoon of soy sauce
Sprouts and sesame seeds for decoration
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Keep thin strips of ginger and chilli in chilled water until future use. Four pieces of each is sufficient.
2. Mix 5 teaspoons of mayonnaise with 1 teaspoon of white miso paste. Keep in a tube in the chiller.
3. Slice the yellow fin tuna in a rectangular shape (10cm long and 3cm wide).
4. Flavour the tuna with lemon juice, soy sauce and salt to your taste.
Heat a pan at high temperature and add the tuna, colour the tuna on each side for 30 seconds.
5. The tuna should still be raw in the inside.
1. Place the tuna on a cold plate decorate with 5 drops of miso mayonnaise on the top.
2. Roll the radish, cucumber and place them randomly on the plate.
3. Place slices of beetroot and radish.
4. Top it with the julienne of ginger and chilli, also add a few sprouts.
5. Sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds and salt flakes.
Danish born Chef Nikolaj Retpen is the Executive Chef of W Retreat & Spa – Maldives. Having previously worked at the retreat from 2006 to 2008, Nikolaj returns as Executive Chef after having worked at Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa in Maldives and The Laguna Resort & Spa, in Nusa Dua of Bali. On a more personal note, Nikolaj who speaks over 5 different languages loves to travel and explore. With passion at heart, he loves to experiment in the kitchen and enjoys a game of tennis or a visit to the gym or big game fishing to work up an appetite.
W Retreat & Spa – Maldives is a tropical playground in the Indian Ocean that’s perfect for relaxing, playing, and recharging for your next adventure. Connect with inner peace and go along with the pace of island life. Succumb to an inviting concept of dazzling blue waters, spectacular reefs and pristine sands infused with style and soul – you’re no longer part of the everyday.
- Where to eat on Valentine’s Day in Singapore
- Welcome the Year of the Monkey with Tiger Beer
- New sparkling blackcurrant beverage by Ribena
- Where to go for reunion dinner this Chinese New Year
- 12 must-try Chinese New Year Goodies
- 10 Treasure Pots to Bond with your family this Chinese New Year