Recipe: Spicy soft shell crab salad
Typically considered Japanese restaurant-only fare, soft-shell crab is a seafood delicacy, which can be eaten and enjoyed in its entirety. They have the same sweet and tangy flavour you love from the usual hard crabs.
You may be intimated by the thought of trying to prepare soft shell crabs at home, but it’s surprisingly easy to prepare. Here’s a Thai-inspired take on soft shell crab by Executive Chef Pornthep Thongrak of Le Méridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa. This simple and easy soft shell crab recipe with a fiery blend of chilli and zingy green mangos will blow you away with its taste bud awakening flavours.
150g soft shell crab
10g all-purpose flour
4pcs red chilli
15g spring onion
150g green mangos
25g cashew nuts
2 tbspn lime juice
2 tbspn sugar
2 tbspn fish sauce
Coriander for decoration
Oil for frying
1. Clean soft shell crab. Lightly cover the crab with flour. Heat oil in frying pan and fry soft shell crab until crispy and golden brown. Put aside to drain and cool down.
2. Mix sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, chilli together and put aside.
3. Cut green mango into small strips, Slice shallots, tomato, celery, chilli, spring onion into small pieces. Place all ingredients and cashew nuts into a bowl and mix well.
4. Add the sauce mixture to the vegetable mixture and mix well.
5. Put the fried soft shell crab into the mixture. Mix slightly and taste to your liking. Serve immediately, sprinkled with a little coriander.
Executive Chef Pornthep Thongrak is a self-starting individual who embraces new challenge. With more than 20 years of experience in culinary field, Chef Pornthep has joined many of the well-known hotels and resorts. His journey begins in Phuket at the Arcadia Hotel as Demi Chef De Partie and gradually worked his way up the culinary ladder in his expertise at Club Andaman, The Evason, Kata Thani, Kaolak Princess Resort and Layana Resort Krabi.
Le Méridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa is a chic and intimate resort with a unique blend of stylish amenities, luxury services, an inspiring atmosphere and rich, cultural experiences that offers guests a new perspective. Located on an idyllic stretch of exclusive Lamai Beach and inspired by Koh Samui’s timeless beauty and diverse cultural influences, the resort features an intimate selection of 77 refined suites and villas.
- Where to eat on Valentine’s Day in Singapore
- Welcome the Year of the Monkey with Tiger Beer
- New sparkling blackcurrant beverage by Ribena
- Where to go for reunion dinner this Chinese New Year
- 12 must-try Chinese New Year Goodies
- 10 Treasure Pots to Bond with your family this Chinese New Year