Need a delicious appetiser dish that will impress your guests without stressing you out? Why not try haloumi cheese with watermelon? This easy recipe from executive chef Sven Cepon of Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa is delicious, filling and easy to make.
Haloumi cheese is from the Mediterranean island of Cyprus. Its unique salty hard cheese made of goat and sheep’s milk comes to life when grilled or pan-fried. Paired with watermelon and prawns, it is a sweet-salty treat that works as an appetiser, side dish or light and beautiful summer salad. The pomegranate seeds also make a tasty and colorful addition to this simple and fresh salad dish.
100g fine cracked wheat (Bulghur)
100ml extra-virgin olive oil
20 medium prawns, peeled, cleaned, tails intact
25g Haloumi, thinly sliced
Juice of one lemon, or to taste
400g seedless watermelon, thinly sliced
½ small Spanish onion, thinly sliced
2/3 cup each coarsely torn mint and
Seeds of ½ pomegranate
1. Soak cracked wheat in cold water until tender (8-10 minutes), drain well, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat 30ml olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add prawns and cook, turning once, until pink (1-2 minutes each side), transfer to a plate and keep warm.
3. Wipe out pan with absorbent paper, return pan to the heat, add 30ml olive oil and haloumi and cook, turning once, until golden (1-2 minutes each side).
4. Remove from heat, squeeze over a little lemon juice, and then arrange haloumi on platter, layering with prawns, watermelon and onion.
5. Combine herbs, pomegranate and cracked wheat, season to taste and scatter over salad.
6. Return pan to heat, add remaining olive oil and lemon juice, season to taste.
7. Drizzle dressing over salad and serve immediately.
See also, Moroccan Spiced Game Hen recipe by chef Sven Cepon.
Executive chef Sven Cepon is born in Oberhausen of Germany. He began his career at home and served with a number of five-star hotels in Cyprus and Switzerland for over five years before moving to the Maldives in 2008 as Executive Sous Chef for the W Retreat and Spa Maldives. After having served W Maldives for nearly two years, Sven joined Sheraton Maldives in 2010.
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa, is a tropical paradise located on its own island (Furanafushi) in North Male’ Atoll. It is a magnet for those seeking stunning white sandy beaches and warm turquoise lagoons. Part of Sheraton Maldives appeal is the varied dining options. Choose to dine under a starlit sky, with soft sand beneath your feet or beside the shimmering lagoon with that special someone.
- Where to eat on Valentine’s Day in Singapore
- Welcome the Year of the Monkey with Tiger Beer
- New sparkling blackcurrant beverage by Ribena
- Where to go for reunion dinner this Chinese New Year
- 12 must-try Chinese New Year Goodies
- 10 Treasure Pots to Bond with your family this Chinese New Year